Hangingshaws, Lockerbie - Excavation Phase (1) of a staged programme of archaeological investigative works was undertaken at the site known as Hangingshaws, Dinwoodie, near Lockerbie as part of the requirement of the issued outline planning consent. A total of ten archaeologically significant features were located within the proposed development area comprising nine pits and one posthole. The pits varied greatly in size and depth with no obvious distribution pattern, they were however, consistent in that all their fills contained charcoal in various quantities. Three of the pits also contained burnt bone. Early Neolithic pottery was located in three of the pits one of which also contained two fragments of Neolithic stone axes.The pottery and axes allowed a speculative date of 4000 to 2500 BC.
Graveyard Field, Port Logan - Investigative works A programme of archaeological investigative works was undertaken at the site known as the Graveyard Field, Port Logan. The works were undertaken as part of the requirement of the issued planning consent A series of trenches were excavated over and around the partially visible remains which revealed a rubble and turf built structure measuring 10.2m by 5.7m with walls upstanding to 0.35m at most and upto 0.85m in thickness. There was an entrance with threshold stone in one wall but no fireplace or indication of how the structure was floored. The partial remains of an enclosure visible on the 1850 map were located as well as an area of paving possibly representing a base for a peat or log stack. As no finds earlier than 19th century date were located we can determine that this structure was in use in the 19th century in rural Wigtownshire and it may have been both used as a dwelling and later as a winnowing barn.
20 Kirk Crescent, Old Kilpatrick - Watching Brief A programme of archaeological investigative works was undertaken in respect of the proposed extension at 20 Kirk Crescent, Old Kilpatrick, West Dunbartonshire. The works were undertaken as part of the requirement of the issued planning consent to allow the client to fully discharge the terms of the condition of consent.The works comprised archaeological monitoring of the excavation of the foundation trenches for the proposed new extension. During the course of the works five sherds of Roman pottery were recovered, all of which have been dated to the 2nd century AD. However, all the sherds came from within a disturbed context which also contained more modern finds and it is therefore probable that they originally came from nearby Old Kilpatrick Roman fort which recovered similar pottery when it was excavated in 1928.
Grishipoll House, Isle of Coll - Historic Building Recording Grishipoll House comprised a large two story structure made of local rubble set in lime mortar. It has three substantial gables; one at both ends as well as a central one (aligned off-centre to the south) and a symmetrical eastern frontage. The central gable divided the interior so that there was a single main room on each side with the upper and lower room at the northern end both being have a further partition. Although it was originally constructed with a central entrance on both the lower and upper floors on the eastern elevation,latterly the lower section of the upper entrance was blocked in to form a window. A draw-bar slot in the southern jamb of the main entrance indicates that at some point the house in its history the house required this defensive feature. Documentary sources suggest that the house was built sometime between 1737 and 1754 and cartographic evidence shows that it was abandoned and unroofed by 1881.
West Bold, Walkerburn, Peeblesshire - Walk-Over Survey An archaeological desk based assessment and comprehensive
perspective walkover survey was commissioned by the Forestry Commission on an area of ground located at West Bold, Walkerburn in
the Scottish Borders. The archaeological works were
required to provide information during the public consultation process for a
proposed planting scheme and help with the production of a Forest Design
Plan. The ground, which extended to
roughly 135.5hectares, mainly comprised open improved ground. The objective of
the study was to identify any archaeological sites within the proposed
development area and where appropriate suggest measures to avoid any direct
adverse impact on the archaeology.The desk based assessment depicted the possibility for the
remains of at least fifteen possible archaeological sites within the survey
area and the comprehensive prospective walkover survey revealed the remains of thirty
three possible archaeological sites.